Subiaco

About Subiaco

  • Postcode: 6008
  • Population: 8015
  • Municipality: City of Subiaco
Subiaco (known colloquially as Subi) is an inner western suburb of Perth, Western Australia, north-west of Kings Park. Its local government area is the City of Subiaco.

Balcatta is a suburb of Perth, Western Australia. Its local government area is the City of Stirling. It is a primarily middle-class suburb made up of mainly Italian, Greek and Macedonian families, as well as many families from other European countries. It is also one of the largest suburbs in the northern part of the Perth metropolitan area. Much of Balcatta is a commercial and industrial area.

History


Prior to European settlement the area was home to the Noongar Indigenous people.

The area was settled in 1851 by Italian Benedictine monks. The monks named the area after Subiaco in Italy, the location where Benedict of Nursia, the founder of the Order of Saint Benedict, had begun his work.

 

Landmarks


Landmarks of the suburb include Domain Stadium (aka Subiaco Oval), Mueller Park, the Regal Theatre, the Subiaco Hotel, the Victorian terraces on Catherine Street and the Subiaco Arts Centre.


Rokeby Road, a major road which runs through the suburb, features many shops and cafes.



The main street of Subiaco is Rokeby Road, which was named after GeneralHenry Montagu, 6th Baron Rokeby, who was commander of the 1st Infantry Division during the Crimean War. Another important commercial road is Hay Street.

Residential areas include Subi Centro, a modern housing development with the sunken Subiaco railway station on reclaimed industrial land near Wembley, and older heritage properties towards Shenton Park.

Major hospital facilities include St John of God Hospital, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children and King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women.

School facilities include Subiaco Primary School and Perth Modern School, the only academically selective school in Western Australia.

On the corner of Rokeby and Hamersley Roads is a clock tower war memorial, built in 1923 to commemorate soldiers from the district who died in World War I. The names of those who died in later conflicts have also been added.